Thanks to everyone who read the step x step posts. I got some great feedback. I'll try to do it again some time soon. "Autumn" is finished and you can see it here.
I thought it would be fun to show an evolution. This one is 4 years in the making. The above image was "finished" today - it measures 12x24" but it is a re-paint of a much older painting.
If you click on the image you can get a better view of it. But the real reason you should look at it is because of the texture on it.
Texture? The texture on there is made up of about 5 layers of thick latex paint from 2007 when I was "spinning" canvases. I built a steel rig out of the "free wheel" gear off a 10 speed bike and would bolt a 4' canvas to it and spin it like mad while dripping paint on it from above. It was fun. they would look like this:
After doing this kind of thing for a few months I decided to become a more "serious" painter and start using oils- and stop spinning canvas.
When I moved into my new studio, fresh canvas was hard to find, and I had all of these spinners stretched and doing nothing.
* So I scavenged them *
I kept 4 of the better ones, but took the others off the stretchers and used them for my first forays into oil painting. I cut up the lame ones and stuck them over new stretcher bars, gessoed them up, and started painting.
I took an orbital sander to them to try to knock down the texture, but it was serious stuff... and I didn't want to go through the canvas. besides. it was practice.
Needless to say I found one of them the other day. And I painted over it AGAIN!
Fortunately (or unfortunately) I had a picture of what it used to look like. I put all 3 images next to each other so you can see what I mean. It is all on the same canvas...
The middle face was painted very early in 2008 just as I was getting into painting. I was happy with this at the time. I remember I spent some time trying to get it to come out...
Long story short. I was cleaning out the studio the other day, found it, popped it on the easel and re-did it. I had to rummage around a bit to find the source photo I had used.
I gave it a little Caravaggio treatment and pushed the black. I suppressed my colors and kept it basic to focus on form.
Ivory White, Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna and Ivory Black
- what a difference a few years make...