I have started packing up many paintings in the past few days to get them out of the studio to make room for new work. I'm a bit tired of looking at some of them honestly, and I also don't want them to influence anything from this point further. So they are getting wrapped in bubble wrap and into the archives for a loooong time. It will be fun to upack them some day - maybe I'll even be surprised.
But a couple pieces have been giving me the "eye" for quite some time, so I needed to address them. The "eye" means that I never quite gave them what they needed at the time, and they are now ready (and so am I). I've got to start taking better photographs though....
I had submitted this to a show WAY before I should have. (see this post) I didn't give it a chance to evolve. I had always thought of the figure as "emerging" or being birthed, but didn't show it. The additional figures sit as partially resolved; unable to gain the flesh and longing for a chance.
This one has been a long time coming. I just moved right past it after it was "done", but it's time has come too. I often rework the drawing and the tone/color of paintings. This one got a bit of both.
I was never happy with the flesh tone or the form of the top figure. It had no punch and was painted rather weakly. A reworking of Burnt Sienna, Raw Sienna and a touch of Cad. Red light got this figure back in shape. It also added a much needed degree of "finish" to push the composition.
So two pieces back in the fire. They will get a new coat of varnish and then bubble wrapped and put away. New work awaits.